Media

Friday, June 28, 2013

MEN ARE HERE! - In reflection of Bird by Bird 6/28




Tonight I went to a goodbye party for someone who took a chance and a leap of faith to move to Phoenix. My sister in law is dating him and she is really truly happy to be with him. It is a big deal for her to have someone who truly treats her with dignity, respect and like a lady. So sayonara seeester! Have fun in Phoenix. 

As for the dinner, how do you listen and respond to a conversation you have nothing to speak about? I am a person who likes to be social, but bring out the conversation about edelbrock engines, carburetors, and spark plug ignition timing and I am lost, sleeping rather. I remember text messaging my wife saying.. “car talk *yawn* can we talk about baseball or beer brewing now?”

In civilized conversation I would like to know where we stand as writers if this is our chosen path. I am not saying that I am wanting to do the “sophomore class shuffle” but I am really enjoying writing each night. I may get a job as a paralegal but as excited as I am to be writing again I may chose to do it for fun again. Much like our story Bird by Bird, how hard is it to get up and write something each day? This man was an engineer and went to work with tougher men than nails and still had a sensitive soul enough to write. Am I to banish my new found hobby to the closet? Am I only supposed to write once a day to feel artistic enough to fulfill my soul? 

I am challenged each day by people at work, my exes with my children to live a life of stress. I have found solace in my words, the way they flow onto the paper. Can my writing help fight against heart disease? I’m happy doing this. I felt that in Bird by Bird the author’s father was happy doing it.
How about that Cardinals game? I think those Chiefs have a chance this year. Argghh! Men are here. Talk motors, eat meat. I was so happy to come home and write. It’s crazy how these last few weeks I have changed in this respect.

1 comment:

Joshua Tingler said...

I can agree with the car talk portion for sure, even if just the idea of it. I have a pretty wide-range knowledge that spans over a lot of topics, but cars just happen to fall short in that respect. However, I have found, when I do run into something that stumps me and doesn't really interest me, I try to feign the interest. Ask questions about what each things mean, just to try and understand what the conversation is about so I can follow a little better. You never know when you'll have someone in your writing that is a car-freak!

Writing is, and always has been, a magical thing for me. It's a way to escape, especially if you are a fiction writer like myself. It's a way to escape from the mundane and worrisome parts of this world and be able to experience something else that is out of this world. It always makes me happy to see other people that are getting into writing, especially if they used to do it for fun as well! Writing can help a lot, even if you just do free writing every now and again to vent frustration.

... Also, I say every year the Cheifs have a chance this year... and every year they find a way to disappoint me. But maybe this year!