Media

Sunday, June 30, 2013

Oh Brother... Good grief 6/30


So today I went through and found supporting articles on my writing due this next week. I have been brainstorming all week. Looking at different aspects of passion, what it means, how is it derived in society, examples of people in society who have used their passion to obtain goals. Einstein, Patrick Henry, Paul Revere, and many many others.

I was stumped. I said to myself all day, where do I start? I work from home so my computer sits next to me, while my work computer sits on the other side. I plan vacations and talk to people all day. I didn't want to start a thought, take a call, and then come back, read what I wrote to catch up on my thoughts to continue writing. Its tiring and endless and totally not worth the headache. I'd rather read up, research and brainstorm and write after work.

So it was after a day of researching and reading that I started backwards with my citation page first. What will I use after that? I then started my thesis statement. Wondered halfway through if I should be using my credo as my opening paragraph. Is this the meat Ms. Anthony wants to add to the skeleton?

Harumph! 

After taking a shower this evening, I sit down to continue writing. I have found this exercise to be  comforting and my productivity for the day. I tend to look over the next days assignments and write, then I look over literature, read, and answer questions. I then see this evening still due, two quizzes due tomorrow, writing on Frankenstein due this week and this 3-4 page mammoth that scares the living crap out of me.

I started probing my wife for answers. "Babe, I am reading this assignment again (because I always double check my assignments like everyone else) did all this research and come to find out she (Ms. Anthony) wants personal experiences". "I'm stumped". She sits down next to me and says, "your children? Beer making? Airplanes? Your marriage? Politics?" DUH! The look first (deer in headlights, or raccoon you pick) and then the word comes out of my mouth.

Now I don't know where to start.. all over again.. Ms. Anthony I will attempt to keep it within 4 pages. I have hobbies, I love life and do quite a bit of things that keep me interested. I am passionate about all of them. Otherwise whats the point in doing them?

I appreciate the challenges school has presented in the last few months, the balance in classes, the reading and amount of writing involved has been exceptional.

Oh brother! .. Good Grief!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Charlie Brown strip is a nice touch.

I've been having the same problems with using personal experience as you were having before your wife inspired you. Hopefully I have a similar moment of epiphany, because at the moment I'm stumped.

Nice post!

theredeemed said...

The the comic strip brings some extra humor to the post.
Funny thing is, I actually posted a comic strip in one of my posts also.

Anonymous said...

I never mind reading more...it just takes longer..:) I am looking forward to reading this essay and am pleased that you have learned something about your own writing process...you are a verbal thinker and processor. Remember that for future writing assignments and projects. Nice post. ~Ms. A.