Media

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

To know me is to fly with me 6/26

Take a look around you, how many people occupy your space? Take that feeling of peace or stress and place yourself in the middle of an airline terminal. Take for instance you are an international traveler going to a foreign place with no interpretation or insight to the culture, people, geography or availability of amenities. Now picture yourself a thousand miles away from home before you start your journey. Now try to breathe. Exhilarating isn't it? Are you excited? Can you feel your feet?
This is the joy I feel every time I travel. The thought of being in one place and then another in less than four hours. The airport to me is my zen. The hustle, bustle, snapping of newspapers, mothers with their children and husbands with their dumb looks trying to figure out gate assignments, keeping their kids quiet, and fed. I have never seen a "vacation only traveler" take less than 5 minutes to chose their breakfast decisions for a family. You're not going to save money here, I know you didn't plan on this decision when making your vacation choice so please take your time, I can wait. I've come to expect that a breakfast, lunch, or dinner doesn't cost less than $15.00 in an airport. With this advice please keep this in mind. I'm not a snob, I just know what I want. My coffee, my paper, and to sit and wait. 
The boarding process gets everyone in their seats, if it weren't for overhead and carry-on luggage we'd all be in our seats and not delayed. We're seated now, flight attendant is making her rounds and were all ready to go. The quick good-byes on phones being turned off, glancing behind me there are no kids crying, and no body fighting with their luggage. Its time to go. The plane pushes back, the second engine turning on, the planes air system kicks on with a scent of jet fuel, dirty smog from the town you're leaving and a hint of perfume from the lady in front of me. Taking the top off my coffee I take a sip, inhaling the steam coming off the top.. complete comfort. I'm settled down in my seat, feet extended, my head leaned into the window, time for takeoff. The slow rumble from beneath my feet, then my back, by the time I feel it, we're rolling down the runway, faster, faster, faster the front of the plan lifts in front of me, the plane is off the ground the wind comes under the plane and cradles it like a baby. I feel it coming, the most amazing feeling of complete freedom and  when all of a sudden..  Lift...

No comments: