Media

Thursday, July 18, 2013

All over but the crying - Final blog post 7/19

Is it the music that really died? Or was it the writing? Where will I end up in this I will not know until its finished. Funny word final. The final out, the final inning, the final sentence cancer spoke, the final exam.

The time has come!- The Walrus (Alice in Wonderland)

This is my final blog post for composition one. In this class I have come back to a better understanding of what writing is to me, how it can benefit me and where it can take me in my education. I grasped fluency by the hand, flung my arms around the neck of punctuation, throwing caution to the wind and without a care, I have found my voice.  It is made up with a high pitch squeal of a young lady fresh out of high school, a 40 year old brushing up for a test at work reading my writing with a burly tone, the swagger of a soul man and in my own head I am narrating with a little hint of Craig Sheffer, and Morgan Freeman. 

" Long ago, when I was a young man, my father said to me, "Norman, you like to write stories." And I said "Yes, I do." Then he said, "Someday, when you're ready you might tell our family story. Only then will you understand what happened and why."- Norman Maclean (A River Runs Through It)

Mozart had his concertos, Beethoven his symphonies, Mr. Holland (although fictional) had his opus, and I, I will have my writing. I am inspired, I will take this to new heights.

"Brown noser." - Glen Holland (Mr. Hollands Opus) 

As for the future, I read work from other writers and I am intimidated by the 8-10 letter vocabulary words being used to make sentences into 6 word sentences with 25 syllables to express a point better explained in a 8 line paragraph, makes me wonder if I am doing something wrong, writing the wrong thing or even expanding my mind in the right way.

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

In this class I have learned how to relate my ideas from paragraph to paragraph, how to incorporate proper editing, and that while writing has its format rules that need to be followed at times, it is still my writing. No one else can make it theirs and the words although heard in many other voices, are still mine.

Mine I tell you!

With that being said I have learned that using others' quotes, while effective, is sometimes frowned upon when needing to get across a point in simplest forms. Sometimes it is better to slow down and see what is in front of you, write it a hundred times and find the best version. Free writing. I have gotten back in touch with this and it has helped a great deal.

I want the truth! - Dan Kaffee (A Few Good Men)

In closing, I am sad to be leaving this class, but am excited at the prospect of others. It is time to move on and see what else lies ahead for me. Will I become a professional writer? Will I be writing speeches for our next public administrators? Will I run for my own office and fire everyone of my writers because they don't get what I have to say? Whatever I do I will make it my success and no one elses!

"Gather ye rosebuds while ye may"- Robert Herrick

I had a choice to make this summer when dropping my third class. I had this, literature and math. I chose to drop math, although I need to take three classes before transferring. I thought I would enjoy this a lot better. Or was I procrastinating? Either way, I did not regret my choice in the issue and I am glad I learned not only something academic from this class, but a little more about myself.

 Carpe Diem!

It took a few days at times to find a muse, or something to write on. Tonight's was easy. I just listened to some music and put my mind to it. It's not hard to reflect on something that has consumed the last 7 weeks of your life and months before paying off student loans to get things back on track. I really feel that finding a subject was the hardest to write about. I wanted to be influential, actually seem like I was working and put some real effort into it.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A most excellent reflection indeed. Thank you for a good read this semester. You have made me cry and you considered your audience carefully or just got really lucky that I know all the references without the explanations. Sigh. ~Ms. A.