Media

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Here we go again 7/15

Writing. Almost tired of it. NOT! 

I have found this to be one of the best summers in a long time. I have not written so much in a long time. I feel like the kinks are all worked out, joints all oiled up and now I am ready for anything. 

Or am I? 

I went through the first part of lesson 7 tonight. The beginning of research. I loved Ms. A's quote tonight " I know that many of you have never known a life without the Internet, but knowing how
to use the Internet in college may be quite different than the social networking and
gaming activities you may be accustom to."
I laughed and thought about that tonight. A lot of people don't know how to use the internet or a library for research? Where do people go to research? When I was a kid, it was a big deal to get a bookmark from the librarian, to get a cloth bag to carry your books home in. It was an even BIGGER deal when your parents had to pay late fees. In high school it was worse when you had late fees and a research paper due. 
My Freshman year I chose to write about the Vietnam war, encyclopedias would reference another article in another volume. I can tell you the way to use EVERY book in an encyclopedia to write a 4 page paper. 
I am proud of my upbringing where we wrote everything, no. 2 pencil, our tests were short answer and fill in the blank and our finals always had an essay. 
That's another story another time. I just thought this was interesting. I did want to share something with someone that I loved in Ms. Anthony's writing tonight, 
"The best strategy in writing a research essay in college  is to write what you know, write what you want to know, creating questions for research, then go find what you need to know. " - Ms. Anthony

No comments: