Media

Thursday, July 4, 2013

Oh beautiful, for spacious skies.. 7/4

For amber waves of grain..

I wanted to write my blog early today because my afternoon will be filled with hot dogs, hamburgers, friends, family, and baseball.
My kids this summer are with their mother so I wish I could bring more light into their spot this year but I am sure their top lips are smothered in the remnants of ice cream, cookies, ketchup and juice. The temporary reddening of the hairs surrounding their lips gives them a patriotic 'stache to watch this years fireworks.

For purple mountain majesties..

It is my hope that when the loud boom of the fireworks go off tonight you remember the boys on the beaches of the Pacific theater, fighting in the blood, sweat and tears for our freedom. Remember the boys who took the beach in Normandy who witnessed their own fate so that we may celebrate today. Remember the boys who fought in the trenches of Vietnam, the rice paddies and the boys who lit up the night along the Ho Chi Min trail. Remember those who never came home.

Above the fruited plain!
  
Tonight the boys of summer will be running through the streets, the flashing streamers in neighborhoods will be accompanied by one hand on a bottle rocket and the other on a hot dog. There will be many baseballs thrown, ice cream eaten and families brought together. Mothers will be beckoning loudly at their kids to get away from the fireworks,while their dads will be tying the fuses together to make the best fireworks show ever. Grandma's and grandpas everywhere will be wrapping their grand kids in blankets to keep them warm from the July night that brings the ironic chill from a day that is "hotter than the 4th of July". It's merely the togetherness that brings the kids and families together under these blankets, not necessarily the chill.

America ...

We may all be separated by race, creed, religion, beliefs and desires yet we are all still Americans. You are on American soil, you live under the protection of the old red white and blue. Bleeding heart, or one that is content in your own belief. You believe in the American way if you celebrate this holiday. Nowhere else in the world is this holiday being celebrated except amongst our friends in other countries who are fighting for our freedom.May God be with them tonight as they fight on for our freedom as we celebrate their cause.

Sweet America..

Freedom in America, whether it was for a religious sake or not, it was freedom we fought for, and it is freedom that we have. Let freedom ring, my fellow Americans, God bless your friends and families , God bless America.

God done shed his grace on thee!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

This is an amazingly well written piece. You restirred my love of this country. I hadn't been focusing on it today as I'm at work. Your use of descriptive words is sublime. From this one blog post I am a fan of yours.

Unknown said...

I agree with Maggi, this is really well written, it made me smile about the hotdogs and the thought of what the holiday consists of, yet was also really heart wrenching and very realistic about our soldiers protecting our freedom.

Unknown said...

I really enjoyed reading this post. I know it's after the holiday but I think I just found a new appreciation for the 4th of July. I'm not a huge fan of fireworks and I think I forgot the true meaning. This was very creatively written. Good post.
Regina Crawford

Anonymous said...

This is a most, most excellent read. Thank you. ~Ms. A.